The building was erected in 1846 as the new residence of Duke Aleksandar Karadjordjevic. Since 1854, the building was the Serbian Crown Hotel that had twelve luxurious rooms. Numerous cultural events that marked the artistic life of Belgrade were held on that spot: theatrical performance of Jovan Djordjevic’s theatrical group from Novi Sad, musical evenings of Kornelije Stankovic, great exhibition of Steva Todorovic’s paintings, etc.
This building was the first class hotel until 1868, when it was purchased from Duke Aleksandar Karadjordjevic by the Belgrade Municipality. Since then, it was occupied by the administration of the Belgrade Municipality. The original façade was classically symmetrical, as it may be seen from a drawing made by Felix Kanitz, with the entrance hall on the ground floor. In the first half of the 20th century the façade was completely changed.
Before the renovation, the building was in a completely ruined condition. After the renovation undertaken by us, the building has become the Yugoslav Film Archive.
- INVESTOR:Ministarstvo za kulturu Republike Srbije
- LOCATION:Uzun Mirkova 1, Beograd
- DESIGNER:Svetlost teatar, dia Pavle Vasov
- AREA:4.700 m²